If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want. ~Elbert Hubbard

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cool Weather

Finally! The thermometer is reading 54 degrees down in Ft. Lauderdale! I'd been wanting to make a yummy pot of chili, but was holding off for a cool day. Enjoy the recipe! I made it low-fat and high-protein for healthier lifestyle compliance!

Photobucket


Easy Pot of Chili Recipe

1.5 lb of 90/10 lean ground beef
8 oz kidney beans (canned or dry)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, mashed/minced
1 can Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes http://www.redgold.com/tuttorosso/products.asp
2 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
1 packet chili seasoning (or any chili seasoning that you like)

First, I prepared my beans. I prefer dry beans to canned beans because for they are cheaper and because I could season them the way I like. To prepare dry beans I use a pressure cooker. It is quicker and uses less energy than boiling them for 200 hours! I added a 16 oz package of dry beans to the pressure cooker and added double the amount of HOT water. I covered the pot and allowed the beans to soak for 4 hours. Then I add about 1/4 cup of sofrito (http://gardengal823.blogspot.com/2012/01/all-purpose-seasoning.html) and cook the beans according to the pressure cooker's instructions for 35 minutes. This is the one I have. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fagor-elite-pressure-cooker-4-qt.?ID=593479&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

After they're done, I let them simmer for another 15 minutes uncovered before adding them to the beef. You could use canned beans, but like I said dry beans are my preference.

While the beans are doing their simmering, I begin to cook the ground beef in a dutch oven. http://reviews.macys.com/7129/324821/martha-stewart-collection-cookware-enameled-cast-iron-reviews/reviews.htm is the one I have and I love it. These pots are kind of fragile, so you must handle them carefully or they WILL chip. I like to heat a little olive oil then the onion and garlic until softened. Now you're ready for the beef. Allow it to cook through until it is no longer pink, "chopping" it often so it doesn't clump. Once the beef is cooked thoroughly, add your seasoning, the fresh and crushed tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes and then add the beans. Stir it all together and check the flavor. Add any seasoning you need until it reaches your desired flavor. I like to add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper. Cover the dutch oven and allow the chili to simmer for a half hour on low heat.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. hooray for chili! was it as good as bbq's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My chili was delicious, my friend! I'll be eating it for 3 days. lol

    ReplyDelete