If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want. ~Elbert Hubbard

Monday, December 19, 2011

My first entry!

I started this blog as a suggestion by a coworker to document my weight loss and healthier living journey.   I've been overweight for most of my life.  I started being self-conscious about it when I was about 10 or 11 years old.  Since then, every once in a while I'd say, "OK, this is it.  I'm going to get on the ball and get on a diet and exercise.  In no time, I'll be in shape."  It would last about 3 weeks, I'd see a few results and think, "OK, I'm skinny now.  Let's go to McDonalds."

Now at age 29, something snapped inside me.  One day, I just decided that enough was enough.  My perfect-fitting jeans were difficult to zip up, my work uniforms didn't fit, and I'd tipped the scale at my highest weight ever.  I couldn't believe the scale!  There had to be a mistake... Maybe it needed to be calibrated... I should have subtracted a bit of weight because of the clothes I was wearing... There's NO way I could weigh that much...  By then it was Ramadan and we usually cut down until it is time to break our fast, then we want to eat everything in sight.   So I started cutting down.  At sundown, instead of piling my plate with all sorts of yummies, I'd take one of everything and even give some of my food away.

Then, I'd developed what I call "a fat people" rash under my breasts.  I tried over the counter creams, but nothing worked.  I ended up going to the doctor's office for something stronger and saw an advertisement for Medi Weight Loss Clinics, which my MD was sponsoring in her office.  That day changed my life.  I signed up that very same day.  I went on my scheduled vacation to San Francisco and got on my hard-core life change two days after I returned to Florida.

Since August 2011, I've lost 48.5 pounds.  I bought a size 12 jean, which I hadn't done since high school.  I almost cried in the dressing room last week!  Prior to my life changes, I had killed every plant I'd ever owned.   Now I'm growing green beans, zucchini, summer squash, bibb lettuce, basil and two varieties of tomatoes.  The green beans have come in, but the zucchini and squash are just now flowering.  It's become kind of an obsession for me!    I've come up with lots of yummy low-calorie recipes which I'll try and post from time to time!




Here's to healthier habits, healthier living and inspiring others!

2 comments:

  1. When I come visit (and one day I will), I'm expecting a delicious meal from your organic garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I'm gonna pull some green beans tomorrow. I'm sooo excited!

    ReplyDelete