If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want. ~Elbert Hubbard

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I'm a Runner!

This past Monday, I completed my longest run/walk at 9 miles. It goes without saying that I'm uber excited and proud of myself. However excited and proud I may feel, the physical exertion left me feeling like this:

Photobucket


After two days of recovery, I was able to wake up this morning and get back out there! Not 9 miles again, just a measly 5K (3.1 miles). Taking the advice of my running coach, I was able to get on track and see the benefit of the Galloway Method.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Instead of my usual "walk one song, jog one song" and getting tired really quickly, I'm up to a 12 minute mile using the Galloway method, jogging 2 minutes and walking 1 minute. For safety reasons and the result of an obsession with "Alias," whenever I jog around the neighborhood I like to take different routes. It's gotten to the point where I'm recognizing some of the neighborhood's joggers and dog walkers. It's nice to become "part" of a new community and maintaining new healthy habits :)

I saw some girls while jogging down on the Hollywood Beach boardwalk with these shirts,

http://www.blackgirlsrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/techtee-300x162.jpg

and became curious. They are a MOVEMENT, encouraging minority women to get out there and MOVE! I'm keeping an eye on these girls and after I'm done with my half marathon coaching through my hospital's fitness center, I plan to get involved. But, my shirt is going to say "Latina Girls Run!"

1 comment: